Saturday, October 25, 2008

Speed Read Your News at Spreed:NEWS

I've wanted to learn to speed read for some time now.  And there was a time when I could read pretty fast, but because our eyes, whether we perceive it or not, sort of dart around what we read we tend to read slowly.  But there are different techniques you can use to increase not only the speed at which you read, but you'll should also be able to increase your comprehension and retentions of whatever you read.  And these techniques are simple.

One of the more interesting ways to increase your reading speed is to be able to control the speed of the display of single line phrases or sentences that are part of a larger document (e.g. a news article).  At a site called Spreed:News, you can create an account and then tailor your feeds with some broad categories.  Then when you select a post within some feed, you're presented with a window on the right of the screen with the first few words of the article.  Push play and it begins to play through the document one phrase at a time.  You can set the speed at which each phrase is presented from 240 words per minute to 1500 words per minute.  You should note that as you read through these posts and slowly increase the speed youre brain will cope and you'll not only start reading faster but you should be able to retain more of what you've read, or so this is the idea. 

I'm going to use it to see if even I, with my ever degrading mind, can improve my reading speed, but I won't hold my breath for expanding my comprehension of what I read. So check it out and see how well you can do.



Powered by ScribeFire.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: